Wednesday 1 February 2006

Es is nicht groB und es is nicht gescheit.

Look, I'm really not the sort of person who looks for things like this. Honest. But I spent yesterday in a library, working opposite a floor to ceiling bookshelf containing a thirty volume German Encyclopedia. And I couldn't help but notice that right at the start, four consecutive volumes were labelled:

ASS - BAP
BAP - BER
BER - BRA
BRA - BUM

Which raises two questions. Firstly, why did the editors of this German encyclopedia leave the task of deciding the volume divisions to an English 10 year old boy? And secondly... what's rude about 'BER'?

(P.S. The child contained himself for the rest of the volumes, none of which are naughty at all. Until the end, when he broke out with an exuberent valedictory 'WEE')

8 comments:

Martin J Davies said...

Assbap!

Ahahahahaha

Spinsterella said...

Don't you know what 'ber' means?

Oh, I'd tell you, but it's just too shocking..

James Lark said...

Can't help thinking John's got himself a whole new readership with all those filthy perverts out there googling for ber.

James Casey said...

Don't need to Google, James. I got me a whole twenty-nine months' back issues of "The Ber Necessities" to sift through.

John Finnemore said...

Berverts.

Anonymous said...

Disappointing website. I'm just looking to while away the afternoon looking at ber and all I can find are wry observations and lists of puns.

John Finnemore said...

'Lists of puns'? How dare you. I never make puns, you Quirky pervert.

The frustrated Frog said...

Could someone please explain to me what it is ? I know ASS - thanks to american series - I know BRA - thanks to underwears - I just found WEE in my dictionary - I would have never guessed it, I thought it was something like yippee ! - but I can't find the other words even on the internet.

To be honest I found several definitions of BER but I strongly doubt on it to be a "bit error ratio", "basic encoding rules", different towns or provinces all over the world or a special framework for boats.
So please, make it clear to me - but only with words I can easily find in a dictionary...