Saturday 24 January 2009

The one I do know is an old joke is '...with every packet'.

Good graffiti I've just seen:


In one hand: 'Free Palestine' 
Underneath: 'I'll see what I can do.'

Apologies if this is an old chestnut that's been around since Nigel Rees was a little boy, but it's new on me. Talking of the old chestnuts, though, I recently saw a van on which someone had written in the dust on the back 'Also available in white.' So what? Well, the van was blue. I can't decide whether this was a deliberate joke, or the act of someone so conditioned to write that phrase whenever he sees a dirty van he's lost any sense of what it actually means. It's funny either way, but different kinds of funny. 


3 comments:

Robert Hudson said...

All-time favourite, and who knows if it's true, and God knows it's well-known. Outside Peckham station, years ago, a big graffito reading 'Ireland for the Irish'. Underneath it: 'Peckham for the Peckish'.

Anonymous said...

That virgin complaint letter... come on now, John, 'fess up. That was you.

(http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editors_corner/article/11975/ if you don't know what I'm talking about. But YOU know...)

Wistar said...

I used to live in Bristol near a piece of graffiti which implored "races and relions unite for new civisation". I always liked how the enthusiasm trumped the spelling.